Saturday 23 August 2014

It Turned Out to Be Something I Want [guest post]

For Nature and animal lovers, there might be a problem when choosing they want because there are many courses which are animal or plant related such as Veterinary (which often come first into mind), Animal Science, Zoology, Botany, Forestry etc. And usually, Environmental Science will not pop into our mind because it does not sound as related as much as other courses. Soil, water and air that we are using are directly related to the Nature. So do the animals and plants which often succumb to human development. Quality of the environment should be monitored so that our life will be balanced with life of flora and fauna which might live just adjacent to us or even within us.

This is a guest post from a second year student of Bachelor of Environmental Science from University Malaysia Sabah (UMS). There are not much public universities (and also private ones) that offer this easily-overlooked course. As far as I know, besides UMS, only University Malaya (UM), University Putra Malaysia (UPM), University Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM), University of Nottingham and University of Monash offer this course (I believe that there are more). In this course, one of the thing we do (no matter which university we are studying in) is to go into Nature.    

Back in 2010, I finished my high school study with flying colours but am indecisive about where I should go. Like other students, I scrolled through many educational websites with some briefings on different courses in different fields. I was once into Veterinary, then I turned to Zoology. I have never planned to venture into business, accounting so on and so forth because I know that I am not that kind of person who can sit through the office hours, sticking my butt on the chair.

I applied for scholarships yet I got none. I do not want to take up foundation course in private university because I know that it will limit my choices for my degree course. So, I ended up in Form 6, taking STPM. Again and again, I searched for courses in educational websites or other. I was confused about what I want to be again that I went through most of the Science courses one by one to see if it suits me, then I found this course – Environmental Science. Of course, before I took the STPM, I had a few more options in my mind including Nutrition, Physiotherapy and also Biotechnology.

What caused me to make up my mind besides my interest, yes, my STPM results. I scored badly that I know it was very impossible for me to get into those courses, even if I were to secure a place in those Research Universities (RU) for Environmental Science, it would be difficult since they require a higher pointer too! At the end, I filled up the application form RU section with two courses from UPM, Nature Parks and Environmental Science (I have forgotten about the other two, haha!) to try my luck. For non-RU section, I placed Environmental Science in University Malaysia Sabah for first choice, having told by seniors that my results could secure me a place there. Besides, the university itself is the reason I chose it at the first place. Sabah has a perfect view of Mother Nature, and the university is located near to a shopping centre, which makes entertainment easier to reach at the same time (Oops! To be frank, I am a shopaholic). I know that the University Malaysia Kelantan offers a rather similar course, but it comes in a different name and makes I placed it at the bottom of the list. I also had marine science, food related courses, International Relation, conservation biology on my list (well, people can have a variety of interests =D). Actually, as there are not much non-RU that offers Environmental Science course, I have to fill up the application form with all these choices. Besides public universities, I also applied for scholarship either offered by Sin Chew or The Star (I couldn’t recall)  for University of Nottingham’s Environmental Science.

And YES, now I have just finished my first year study in UMS. Here goes a few scenic photos during my second semester's fieldtrip, you can say I’m trying to lure you into this course. =)

Kota Belud, Sabah.
(Photo provided by Kim Yean)
Never thought that there is such a beautiful river in Malaysia because I grew up with Klang River. LOL!
(Photo provided by Kim Yean)
Forest Biodiversity fieldtrip in Tenom, Sabah.
(Photo provided by Kim Yean)

P/S: Last but not least, we learn to be an environmentalist while having fun and enjoying the Nature so that we become more aware on the environmental issues! =D


Author: Kim Yean
Editor: Wendy Xiwen

4 comments:

  1. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152562061463184&set=pb.836708183.-2207520000.1408967763.&type=3&theater

    ReplyDelete
  2. A different world awaits u. When u arrive, soldier on.

    ReplyDelete